03 September 2013

Changing Schools

First day of kindergarten.
(Photo by Anoosh Jorjorian)
Today, I took my daughter out of our local public school and enrolled her in a charter school.

I didn’t think I would announce it, but then I realized, hey, I write about parenting and politics, and I have just committed a huge political act.

We live in an excellent school district, and our home school is one of the most desirable in our district. We were looking forward to our daughter receiving a solid education while also enjoying a truly diverse peer group.

My daughter, I should say, adored her preschool. She came home covered in paint and mud every day. The love between Silver and her teachers was plainly mutual. At school, she would pet animals, make rivers in the yard, create stories with her friends, pick and eat vegetables from the garden, and pretend to be a kitty, or a mama, or an astronaut, or an excavator. On the way, she learned to write and gained the fundamentals of reading, math, and science.

In the first few days of kindergarten, my family experienced the shock of transitioning from preschool to the regular school system. My daughter seemed oddly unenthusiastic, and one day as she settled into her car seat, she asked, “What does it look like inside your body when you cry?” My husband and I tried to take statements like these with a grain of salt, unsure of how much weight to give them during this time of flux.

The afternoon before Back to School night, I asked her what problems she had that she wanted me to talk about. In order of importance, she listed:

  • Sometimes my teacher yells really loud and it hurts my ears. 
  • Leila gets lunch at the cafeteria and sits with all of those kids, but I want her to sit next to me, but she never can. 
  • Sometimes we have to sit on the rug, and it’s boring. 
So I sat through the Back to School night rally in the auditorium, then we parents filed away to our children’s classrooms for another presentation by their teachers. I sat down on a tiny chair and filled out several forms. The teacher talked about curriculum goals—writing aptitude, sight words, scissor skills—and also described the kinds of homework he would assign. He held up a composition notebook showing lines of upper- and lowercase L’s on one side and cut-out photos of a lion, a llama, and a child licking an ice cream cone on the other.

Silver expresses her displeasure with me.
(Photo by Anoosh Jorjorian)
I had my reservations about my child having to sit and write letters in long rows, when all the writing she has done so far has been on her own initiative: grocery lists, birthday messages, angry letters to me when she is mad. Nevertheless, I could see that her teacher, trained in studio art, was trying to work creatively within the limits he was given. Their first homework assignment would be to draw a picture of something fun from the summer, label all the parts, and write a sentence or two about it. (A rather long assignment for kindergarten, admittedly.)

With only 10 minutes until 8 p.m., the scheduled end of the evening and my children’s bedtime, he asked for questions. On my turn, I asked, “Can you talk about your philosophy and some of your methods of discipline?” The teacher walked over to a small rectangular table with three chairs ranged around it: green, yellow, and red.
 

The red chair was the last straw. My daughter had, in preschool, participated in a democratic classroom. As she has told me many times after I apologize for yelling at her, “The teachers at school don’t yell.” It’s true: they don’t. Of course, at preschool there are five teachers for 25 kids. In kindergarten, there are two. But my daughter is accustomed to being part of the classroom process where limits are agreed upon collectively and enforced gently, and I’m not ready for her to grapple with an authoritarian system yet.

The charter school I am moving her to practices project-based education, which to my mind, is what every school in the U.S. should practice. Diversity and social justice explicitly make up part of their mission. They emphasize experiential learning tailored to each child’s particular style. Collaboration forms the foundation of their structure.

I am, in theory, committed to public education. And yet, as every parent realizes when her or his child begins school, I want my daughter to have an excellent education right now. Public education in this country is a large, unwieldy vehicle, constructed rigidly, and difficult to turn in a different direction.

If our education system is supposed to prepare our children for life as adults, what are we teaching them? To respect authority. To tolerate repetitive, boring tasks. To understand that the system is unresponsive to their desires, needs, and emotions. And, above all, that the pleasures of education—personal attention from a teacher, play- and project-based methodologies, richness of materials, opportunities to go outside in a beautiful environment or take exciting field trips—are limited by economics. That we live in a two-tiered society, between those who find school a trial and those who find school rewarding, becomes obvious to our children from an early age.

People always scoff that we can’t buy our way to a better education system. (But maybe we can.) And yet, what would it be like if we abolished private schools and channeled all those funds to public education? What if we did only this: reduced class sizes, paid teachers wages respectable for trained professionals, and improved facilities so that schools could be open, airy, green, and pleasant places to be? What if we could make arts available to every child, every single day? You can’t convince me that education wouldn’t improve.

And what if we went further and made the goal of education to instill a love of learning in every child?

I know, it sounds like I am asking for the moon. And yet, like every parent, I want my child to be happy and smart; I want her to have ambitious goals and feel capable of reaching them. I want her to delight in learning rather than approach school with dread. It doesn’t seem like so much to ask.

13 comments:

  1. Beautifully said Anoosh. I can learn so much from your words.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Catherine! Just trying to work it out, like every parent.

      Delete
  2. we switched ours FROM a dysfunctional charter school to a very lovely public school, albeit OUTSIDE of the LAUSD system. I marvel at the San Gabriel Valley with their teeny tiny districts that only oversee like 3 elementary schools, makes me understand why LAUSD is so unmanageable...size among a billion other things!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ana: Certainly, charter schools vary A LOT in terms of quality. Some are dismal. Some are wonderful. I know other parents who are delighted with their public schools. I guess my question is, how many public schools are able to be responsive to new research, and how many are hemmed in by federal standards enacted by politicians with an agenda rather than a sincere desire to see kids learn effectively (while *gasp* enjoying life)? I also bear in mind as I write about school in the U.S. what Marta Savigliano said to me one day: "An educated populace is a dangerous populace." I have no doubt that many decision-makers in this country have deliberately created our two-tier system and intend to keep it that way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. My dad once said to me "The government needs an underclass. If everyone was a doctor or lawyer than who would clean up?" The government won't keep you from getting a good education, they just won't help you get one. Also, let's not forget that this is about MONEY! The government is trying their damnedest to get rid of unions. I don't' know how you do it in Cali, but in NY charter school are considered public education because along with a private contributor they are also funded with public money. I am a teacher at a charter school and the school is well funded. Every classroom has a smart board, desktop computers, iPad carts, laptop carts, and every electronic you can think of. I also NEVER have to buy supplies. Just about anything I want for my class, all I have to do is ask and it will be ordered for me. I just can't help but think that if that money was poured into public school education, you would probably see less stressed out teachers, better curriculum that is expressive and creative, and you would probably see a much lighter school atmosphere.

      Delete
    3. Hi, Joanne! Thanks so much for commenting! Republicans (and their corporate backers), for sure, are trying to abolish unions in the U.S. in all sectors. (The poster boy for Republicans on the warpath against educators must surely be Gov. Scott Walker in Wisconsin.) Many Democrats don't seem willing to stand in their way.

      Nationwide, charter schools are considered public education and receive public funds, but charter schools can be deployed to undermine the local public school system, and results from charters are uneven.

      Your charter sounds amazing! We are not quite so lucky here in Cali. New York spends more money per pupil than any other state; California ranks 49th out of 50. Consequently, every single school here needs to fundraise, through parent contributions, grants, events, and donations.

      I have to say, many friends who went into teaching have ended up in charter schools so that they can practice the kind of teaching they want to do. I really believe that we could transform our public school system if we put the resources into it. California had one of the best school systems in the world, and it was completely free. Then, various Republicans got their hands on it, and look where we are now.

      Here's the links for NY/CA per-pupil spending:

      http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/05/23/new-york-student-spending-census_n_3322237.html

      http://www.edsource.org/today/2013/california-drops-to-49th-in-school-spending-in-annual-ed-week-report/25379

      Delete
  4. And I agree, it's another conversation when considering the pedagogy employed by district versus some schools that experiment with new models and learning styles. What I find problematic is that these new models employed by some cutting edge charters are perhaps not available in middle school or high school, we always have to play the lottery to guarantee our kids can keep going to these amazing schools, so then it become difficult to switch, I noticed this when my daughter went to a very progressive Reggio prek then to a very formal LAUSD charter, she had difficulty performing, they wanted to hold her back a year! Now (in 1st grade) she's adapted and is reading ahead of everyone in her class! The ideal would be that she would have been accepted into one of the 6 charters I applied, to keep consistent the project based, mind expanding learning she was accustomed to, but unfortunately, I suck at winning lotteries! So we cut our losses, and are exchanging those new models for a school that is safe, has good leadership, great teachers with little staff turnover, and a positive parent culture, AND traditional pedagogy and standards. Not our ideal but definitely a happy medium.

    ReplyDelete
  5. (Reposting a reply I wrote in the course of Ana's and my conversation) This is the problem with talking about schools in the U.S. - there is such a huge difference between schools. At our home public school, the teachers have to deal with some rowdy kids, and a bunch come in with big differences in language skills, but we're not an impoverished neighborhood (working poor, yes, ranging all the way to upper middle class, but no dire poverty). In schools where poverty plagues a large percentage of the student body, schools can't compensate for all the social and economic shortcomings outside their walls. And then there's public schools in Brentwood and the Palisades. You can't come up with a national strategy that will solve every problem at every school. But allow too much local control, and you end up with schools that don't teach evolution. I do really believe we could make big strides in a generation if we could just drastically reduce class sizes, however. Big problems seem more manageable when you're dealing with a little village, not a big city.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know....when I was in school (teacher school, LOL!) in my child development class I learned about something the state of Vermont did. A governor, can't remember which one, decided to look at the research on the emotional needs of children in the first few years of life. Now I know what you're thinking...Vermont...really Joanne...but even in Vermont there are less fortunate people who succumb to the stresses of life too. This governor implemented a program that sent out people to the homes of new parents to help them how ever they could in respect to child related issues. As well as being a support system these people also educated new parents (cause we all know these little babies do not come with instruction manuals). They sent out letters to new parents as well welcoming their children to the class of what ever year they would graduate from high school. They watched these kids for years and graduation rates went up. It's been a while since I took that class so I don't remember all the details but I remember the lasting impression I had about the first few years of life being vitally important to the cognitive, social, and emotional well being of people (remember that saying "All I need to know I've learned by kindergarten). I believe if we can find a way to help those who need the support during their children's first 5 years of life, you would see a tremendous shift in the school community. I know that doesn't fix the problems of our current education system, but it would make a big difference. And though that governor from Vermont was a progressive thinker (this was back in the 80's I believe), I wouldn't count on the government reaching out to help with such an endeavor. It would have to be an organized effort of people who care.

      Delete
  6. I agree that the first five years of life are vital. Right now many public schools seem to fail due to lack of homogeneity (be it cultural, socioeconomic, or academic). It seems to me that you can't throw people's kids together and just hope for the best. If we had day care and pre-school for all children in this country, then come time for public school kindergarten, that cohesion would be present through a shared culture of daycare and preschool learning experiences. Inequality is a big challenge for our society and it is so stark in the public school kindergarten classroom (whether you are comparing public schools in posh versus poor areas or comparing kids from different socioeconomic backgrounds in one shared room) http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/01/opinion/sunday/catching-up-with-france-on-day-care.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true! I still know of women who haven't enrolled their children in preschool because they can't afford it and are intimidated by the paperwork to access free preschool. First 5 L.A. fail. I'd also like to see the kind of gentle methods used in our preschool made the standard so we can abolish this crazy retrograde red-chair business. Of course, it requires training, but my parenting has come a long way from what I grew up with because I've seen these methods in action.

      Delete
  7. This is touching too many of my hot buttons and red flags, so I'll make two comments and you can message me for more specifics if you'd like. One, I cannot respond to much research because not only is there a plethora of "research" covering everything, but for each "new" technique I can find research to contradict it. I can only respond with what works in my class or not, and hope administrators and society trust my educated self to know what is beneficial in my classroom. teachers have to attain a master's degree and continue professional development to retain their teaching license, so educators are exposed to research from time to time. Whether they use it, hey that is up to them. Same as parents responding to new parental research. As for parent involvement in my class, I do not welcome it. I welcome parents that take the time to ask what I am doing and support that in their household. But I think a parent has as much right to be involved in my curriculum as I do being involved in how they raise their kids. I cannot serve the individual needs of a few students at the expense of the class. I can work in tandem with parents, but I do not work for parents. I'll listen to concerns, and try to address them as I can, but I have a hard time taking curriculum suggestions from people with little to no experience in education. I travel the United States and the world to study classrooms. I feel confident that I got this. Most parents don't want to hear that stance, but there is a shifting perception of education: anyone can now dictate educational policy. In closing to this long winded response, I am not intending to end the conversation, dis anyone or be an authority, but I thought it would be nice to get a teacher's perspective in here. And I do recognize expectations for elementary and secondary students vary significantly.

    ReplyDelete